POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:58:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: jr
Date: 13 May 2021 09:50:00
Message: <web.609d2cee2344a9a179819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> >> I've been toying with the default install directory for linux/unix being
> >> /dev/null in fact. (/dev/null being a 'bit bucket / null disk')
> > this leaves me .. scratching my head.
>
> My current thinking/leanings come from often compiling versions which
> are not in fact complete matches for the provided linux distribution
> package POV-Ray directories or what gets installed if you compile the
> most recent github versions and install in the common directories.
>
> The fact a 'user' compiled version of POV-Ray is still looking at a
> default install directories when those directories have include files
> and such not a match for the compiled version can lead to very confusing
> behavior. This is an exposure any time, on any OS when the compiled
> executable is 'different' than that commonly 'installed.'

perhaps time for a "clean break"?  POV-Ray/povr packaged as an installable
library, shipped with version specific stuff, scenes, and documentation.  then
you can shift all those considerations/concerns into the front-end(s).

> If I set the install directory, via --prefix=, during configuration to
> /dev/null, I never pick up something I really didn't want for whatever
> local version of POV-Ray I'm toying with(1). I can't - there is never
> anything in a /dev/null null directory to accidentally pick up.
>
> (1) - It's how I've been running lately after too many times getting
> myself tangled up because I wasn't getting the dependency I expected to get.

sure, "via --prefix" no problem.  that, and its brethren (data, doc, etc dirs),
if supported by your autotools code, is all that's required.  you may see 'povr'
as installed for a single user, but it _can_ also be installed for all.

> >> With the 'core' approach and a 'povr' wrapper script you can run in
> >> place after a compile or with an install. When a user installs, it
> >> should normally be to a local user directory and not a system wide one.
> > right.  but which ever location the user chooses, by supporting DESTDIR it's not
> > your problem.

> > ... a complete texture?  (thanks)
>
> Effect is all from the perturbed normal. Let me see if I can find it.
>
> // This a povr branch only example!
> #declare Sph00 = sphere { 0, 0.8 }
> #declare Grey70 = srgb <0.7,0.7,0.7>;
> #declare Pig00 = pigment { color Grey70 }
> #declare Nrml00 = normal {
>      average
>      normal_map {
>          [0 bevy type 1 bump_size 0.5] // unbiased wrinkles alt
>          [1 bevy type 4 bump_size 0.5] // Lean already wrinkled at +y
>      }
> }
> #declare Fnsh00 = finish { phong 0.5 phong_size 40 }
> #declare Txtr00 = texture {
>      pigment { Pig00 }
>      finish { Fnsh00 }
>      normal { Nrml00 }
> }
> #declare Obj00 = object {
>      Sph00
>      texture { Txtr00 }
> }

great, thanks.  (something for the evening :-))

> In playing more with normals, I'm starting to believe we've not
> exploited the mechanism anywhere near as fully as is possible.

if the sphere is "only the beginning", oh boy..  yes, more, please.

regards, jr.