POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:10:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 May 2021 07:20:00
Message: <web.609bb94c2344a9a11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> This installation info was given by Clipka in
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-alpha.10064268

Yes, I recall that, as well as the discussion about renaming the .chm help file.

> However, in Windows, I use a more 'intuitive' way

Here, I think is where a screenshot or other graphic output of the directory
tree structure would be really nice for the documentation.

> But maybe this is common knowledge? I don't know.

I've learned to make as close to zero assumptions about "common knowledge" as
possible, especially when doing instructional or documentation work.

What was common knowledge in the 14th century as opposed to now?
The use of slide rules was "common knowledge" for 200+ years - and then *POOF*
we collectively forgot.
I've worked with PhD's in industry who didn't know that the GUI [B] button in MS
Word not only bolded text, but _un_bolded text.  <facepalm>
"If I just take this 5-liter flask full of tetrahydrofuran and sodium-potassium
alloy, and put it under the faucet, that'll get rid of the sodium, right?"  Yep.
 Along with the rest of the room that your standing in...

And, in the linux world, people do that thing where: it's your first day working
at the local drug store, and so you must therefore know everything about every
product in the store, which one is "best", how all of the registers and other
things work, and must have in-depth medical knowledge to diagnose the rash on
little johnny's private parts.  "Here, let me show you..."  No, please.

So, although I am running linux and can do a handful of things very poorly, with
much search-engine use and finger-crossing, I really just don't know what I'm
doing, and it can't be assumed that "Well, of COURSE you 'just' do this git
thing, use THOSE flags do undo the tarball and then naturally perform a
make-check to make sure that these things reside in "the usual places"...

So I'm gonna try to write as much of it down as I can this time in one place and
make a PDF of it, and maybe most of it can wind up on the download page - which
can be the download and install page.  ;)