POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:09:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 12 May 2021 01:05:00
Message: <web.609b61922344a9a18e52cc8789db30a9@news.povray.org>
> I have a fairly new laptop that I'm setting up and sorting out, and at some
> point I became aware that there is really precious little clear, methodical,
> detailed information on how to install povray on a linux system, that is right
> here on the POV-Ray website.
>
> So, in an effort to work out a fairly robust process for folks new to linux, and
> unfamiliar with all of "the usual" ways of doing things that are just left as
> "we assumed that you already know how to do all of this..." (no) I'm going to
> use this thread to document installation of official POV-Ray, perhaps by several
> methods, version 3.8 alpha, and hopefully povr and hgpovray38 as well.

Hi Bill

I don't know how far you have got with this. And it has been a long time since I
compiled POV-Ray.

Right now I wanted to see if I could remember anything related to that. Here's
what I did on my x86_64 PC running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS in order to compile
v3.7.0.8:

  sudo apt install libboost-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev
  cd ~
  git clone https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray
  cd povray
  git checkout release/v3.7.0
  cd unix
  less README
  less install.txt
  ./prebuild.sh
  cd ..
  ./configure COMPILED_BY="My Name <email@address>"
  make check
  sudo make install

(I did not actually execute the last line.) configure mentioned that it can not
find an sdl library, so there is no preview window while POV-Ray is rendering.

Perhaps it helps to do this before starting the process above:

  sudo apt install libsdl1.2-dev

Also note that I have been using this PC for some months now, so there may be
some necessary utilities or libraries that has been installed along with other
programs that I have installed before now.

It might be that the process of compiling v3.8 is quite similar to this.

I see now that you mention installation of official POV-Ray. The process above
will, of coarse, always make and install an unofficial version.

Are you aware of any official prebuilt binary for x86_64 Linux PCs ?

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com