POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
23 Apr 2024 22:54:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 11 May 2021 07:30:00
Message: <web.609a6a17cfb077e479416a1f607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> Mmm, yes.  I suppose that anything that could be released upon exit from the
> include file ought to be declared locally, if for no other reason that to
> practice good form going forward from this point.

Yep, that would be good - keep everything local that can possibly be kept local.
There is at least one other single-letter function designator ("N") so the
chance of a conflict with other variables in a scene definitely exists. The
reason I had a collision with "K" is because I use the letter "I" to control
loops (short for "Index") then for nested loops I just keep going with "J," then
"K," et cetera. "N" is probably popular because it's the first letter of
"Number." There is no downside to using "#local" wherever possible, but there is
a benefit.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston
Suggested motto: "With POV-Ray anything is possible, but nothing is easy"