POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 May 2021 06:20:00
Message: <web.609a59ffcfb077e41f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> > I do have one suggestion, which is to replace "#declare" with "#local" for
> > everything except the finished materials. I ran into one conflict. (It was a
> > function denoted by the single letter "K.")

Mmm, yes.  I suppose that anything that could be released upon exit from the
include file ought to be declared locally, if for no other reason that to
practice good form going forward from this point.

> "K" would point to the Bald Eagle Step Noise contribution. It is not yet
> entirely well-integrated. However, I never had conflicts with it, so
> maybe you got a special case?

K is pretty much just a straight copy-paste from from Wikipedia / Inigo Quilez /
ShaderToy / The Art of Code / GLSL ...  I just used the same variable names to
make reading and potential debugging easier upon a first read-through.

Ken Perlin has suggested an improved version, no idea how that would affect the
appearance of the texture.

I suppose there are a lot of variations that would be nice to look at, exploring
different interpolation formulas and splines.