POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. : Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 May 2021 13:50:00
Message: <web.60942b7ac711449a1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> :-) Re: "vastly easier" - I had the thought, "not with my C++ skills..."

I was stating that from the perspective that such would be "an algorithmic
process" rather than a function {}.

What you're proposing seems awfully similar to how slope and aoi already work,
no?  Perhaps there's a way to piggyback on those in SDL, or repurpose that
already-written source code for the normal perturbation?

Thinking about this some more today reminded me that I am not at all clear about
how a scalar function perturbs a normal vector.  Maybe this got covered in the
quilted pattern thread - I will have to look.  It would be nice if this was
covered in the docs somehow.

It also caused me to wonder if there is a way to define a pattern in SDL that
has an rgb output, such that the .r .g and .b could be used.  The average {}
pattern?
If so, then could we in theory have "vector functions" by rolling 3 pigment
{function {}} statements into an average{} block, and then using function
{pigment{}} ?