POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : foreach macro : Re: foreach macro Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: foreach macro
From: jr
Date: 27 Apr 2021 04:45:00
Message: <web.6087ce41d564bfd479819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > tried to see how many levels of nested calls of 'Foreach()' POV-Ray will do,
> > given that the documentation[*] does not mention a limit.  got to nine.  when I
> > uncomment the line in 'm_l9', the error shown below code (attached) occurs.
> > this is the "call stack" getting trashed?
> I just made a macro call itself - and then I got this error after about 99
> calls:
> "Parse Error: Too many nested symbol tables"
>
> This was with POV-Ray in Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS:
>
> Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.8.unofficial (g++ @
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
> This is an unofficial version compiled by:
>  Dimitri John Ledkov <xno### [at] ubuntucom> for Debian <www.debian.org>

thanks for checking.

> Since you don't get the same error message: Could this possible be some other
> problem in your code ?

unsure.  there are, now, two problems.  on the nesting issue + error - I read
(but forgot to take notes) that Debian maintainers do not use the '-ffast-math'
flag, so wonder whether it's an optimisation thing.  second prob - I only have a
Debian VM, pre-installed on the Chromebook, v 3.7.0.8 compiled by Andreas B.
that does not like the .inc, parse errors when it hits the '#ifndef (global...)'
etc; which changes did you (have to) make to the file(s), other than version
change?

regards, jr.