POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D reconstruction from photos [free] : Re: 3D reconstruction from photos [free] Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D reconstruction from photos [free]
From: adamskijh
Date: 5 Apr 2021 14:30:00
Message: <web.606b55fca265d44e81f5439709d4976@news.povray.org>
"adamskijh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > > Just in case anyone thinks, like I did. That you could use Meshroom to mesh-ify
> > > could not find it. At least I think that's why it crashed. Shame really.
> > >
> > > Stephen
> > >

> > Smart idea indeed. I didn't think of that.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
> I had this idea myself, but thought I'd see if anyone had actually tried it. I'm
> currently running an "orbit" around a scene then using python and EXIFTool to
> insert exif data into the images. Meshroom isn't liking the images without it,
> but you need a "sensor width" value (as you would with a real camera) but I'm
> not sure what it would be. In theory it's either zero or maybe its the size of
> the image plane. I certainly think it's possible to meshify a POV ray object.
> You could change the texture to a purely diffused one, maybe with a checkboard
> pattern. For a complex scene you could maybe render each part independently.
> Adam
So I took the Biscuits.pov example and orbited around it using rotate. I tried
setting the EXIF tags to the equivalent of a Canon 7D (the camera I have) and
the sensor width in the camera as:
POVRay;POVRay;22.3;guessed
and the angle parameter in the camera definition was 40 (degrees) to make the
equivalent of a 50mm camera. This is the result...it's a bit messy but shows
some potential. I saved as JPEG but PNG would be cleaner, but I'm not sure
Meshroom picks up the PNG chunks or not. I think maybe the next step is to
remove reflection and specular highlights, and perhaps a grid or spotty pattern
to aid the feature detection.