POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hgpovray38, current state : Re: Hgpovray38, current state Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hgpovray38, current state
From: Mr
Date: 1 Mar 2021 11:30:00
Message: <web.603d1603b933d8376adeaecb0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 28/02/2021 à 23:15, Mr a écrit :
> > Hi, I made yet another attempt at building on Windows with other parameters and
> > received different warnings mentioning :
> >
> > unknown type name '__m64'
> >
> > Is there any chance to replace / enhance definition of this in the source code
> > with something more cross platform  ?
> >

> Can you elaborate a bit more (location of the error ?) ?
>
> What is puzzling is that something like __m64 starts with double
> underscore and that is something which should be reserved to compiler
> implementation.
>
> Any capture of the full message

 Indeed includes belonged to LLVM /CLANG 10 for VC... The thing is I know too
little, especially about expected options and get lost in trial and errors.

A few clues or reminders of what "should" normally  be the best options could
help me to get there quicker. (Using a Windows 10 with an I7 CPU) current
settings: when loading a file I let it update toolset from v140 to version142

Configuration: Debug, Platform: x64
Windows SDK version 10 ... Better with the default of 8.1?
Floating point mode Precise... Better with strict or fast?

MFC: Use Standard Windows Libraries... Better with use MFC from a static
library? or from a shared dll?
Desactivate language extensions : Yes (/Za)... ok?
iso norm for C version?  trying with MSVC inherited... Better with C 11 or C 17?
iso norm for C++ version?  trying with default std C++14 (nothing older)...
Better with 17 or "latest"?

Character set currently undefined  in project file, better with unicode or MBCS?

No Common Language Runtime

Compile as C++(/TP) ... Better with compile as C Code (/TC)?
With that, I get all the errors mentionned in this discussion, so I stopped
assuming that the code should not be touched and am about to start again to the
suggested changes. I was only searching for a working build setup witout it
first : so I now switched the toolset from Visual Studio 2019 (v142) to LLVM
(clang-cl).. better with LLVM? any clues?