POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Averaged micronormals by pattern : Re: Averaged micronormals by pattern Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Averaged micronormals by pattern
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Jan 2021 19:35:01
Message: <web.5ffb9c43bde491d21f9dae300@news.povray.org>
> I tried blurred reflections using averaged micronormals of 9 built-in
> patterns.  10 normals are averaged in each frame.  I used a bump size of
> 0.1 for all patterns, so the differences in blurriness between frames
> are intrinsic to the patterns.

Interesting results, given that in my source-code research on the pattern
functions, spotted, bozo and bumps IIRC are all just f_noise3d, while dents is
the result of that function cubed.

Granite and wrinkles are described as variants of "1/f fractal noise" in the
comments.  "Wrinkles is sharper".

Maybe I read something wrong or mis-transcribed something...

Really very nice experiment and beautiful renders.   You are patient and
meticulous as always.  :)