POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker' : Re: radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker' Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:07:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker'
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Dec 2020 21:20:01
Message: <web.5fd0330aa2da5c2fd98418910@news.povray.org>
> On 12/6/20 6:58 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> BTW, real-time-raytracing automatically uses only 1 thread, as far as I can
> tell from POV-ray's message pane.
>
> Oh, at least in my environment, I see all processors used.

Hey, you are correct! The Windows version's message pane is returning the wrong
values; RTR *is* using both of my Win 7 machine's 2 threads. (I did a test to
confirm this, changing v3.8's Work_Threads from my default of 2 to 1, and a
complete loop of the first RTR animation proceeds twice as fast.)

The message pane reports only this info, regardless of the Work_Threads setting:
       Parse time... using 1 thread
       Bounding time...using 1 thread

Thanks for the tip. Now, I can do some RTR/radiosity light-patch 'quality' tests
comparing 1 vs 2 threads-- which is not exactly a *definitive* test set-up,
compared to a really *multi*-threaded computer like a Core i7,etc...