POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shadows/sunlight : Re: shadows/sunlight Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:44:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadows/sunlight
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 5 Dec 2020 16:05:01
Message: <web.5fcbf4f560c1d92ee71929640@news.povray.org>
"Julia" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> > Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> > >
> > > i think the 1st sphere after the light source is the sun... lol didn't
> > > account for that 2nd object
> >
> > Ok. After re-indenting I see that the last sphere (the moon ?) is in the union
> > with the earth sphere - and it is moved away from the origin, so the light
> > source is inside a single opaque sphere only.
> >
> > So your suggestion to use looks_like (the sun sphere) for the light source is
> > the way to go.
> >
> > --
> > Tor Olav
> > http://subcube.com
> > https://github.com/t-o-k
>
> oh.. i shoud have said that its an amimation of the sum, the earth and the moon
>
> i think the probem is created by the finishes im using
> because if i change it from ambient it's bearly wisible
>
> thanks anyway, i will try to figure out something

Julia,

First you have to find the problem with the light source that Ash hinted at.
You can read about the light source here:
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/35/

When you have fixed it you can (just for testing) remove the whole sun sphere
and remove all your ambient statements.

Now you should be able to see shadows from your light source (because the opaque
sun sphere is no longer there to block its light).

Thereafter you can bring back your sun sphere and study the the looks_like
example here:
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/40/

If you still have problems you may come back here and show what you have tried.
(But please indent your code better so that it is easier for us to read your
code.)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com