POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shiny : Re: shiny Server Time
16 Apr 2024 17:59:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Dec 2020 14:10:00
Message: <web.5fc93767fc5816461f9dae300@news.povray.org>
MichaelJF <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Am 03.12.2020 um 17:27 schrieb Ash Holsenback:
> > i thought a monolith was a bit cliche...
> Very nice,
>
> how did you model the background and the colloseum-like mirrored
> structure in your tea-pot?

He didn't - it's an HDRI light source.  I have the same one.
Not sure what the URL for that specific one is, but it's a pretty standard way
to instantly add a ton of richness to an image or object even if the backround
or its reflections can't be clearly seen.

A similar site for HDR sources:
https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/?c=all

> I think your image is a simple modeled teapot between two photographies.

It is, but it's inside a spherical image which provides the scene lighting and
the richness of the varied light sources and reflections.
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/backgrnd/p_sky10.htm

> Really a nice image, but not really created with POV, IMO.

Well, it is, even though the light source wasn't created from scratch.
What is "created in POV-Ray" can be debated endlessly.

I use code snippets, include files, image_maps, formulas, and all other manner
of pre-existing tools to shove the image out the other end of the work-flow,
before I lose the time/energy/opportunity.  There's also the metric ton of
under-the-hood stuff that's already encoded into POV-Ray that I don't write from
scratch.
I've encountered people who have made the claim that "I didn't do xyz "myself"
since the procedural texture was already programmed into POV-Ray...

I suppose I could do it in ShaderToy, and then I'd write the camera, the light
source, the shadowing, texturing, etc all myself.....

It's still a nice teapot and pleasing image.
Nice work, Jim.