POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Planetary fly-overs with height-fields : Planetary fly-overs with height-fields Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Planetary fly-overs with height-fields
Date: 16 Nov 2020 14:25:07
Message: <web.5fb2d11bbddf5c217c8778c10@news.povray.org>
Hi Povrayer,

2018 I worked with real height-data of planets and tried some fly-over with help
from Povrays height-fields.
Here one of the Moon (Mare Imbrium) and two from Mars (Vallis Marineris and
Olympus Mons).

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw8pX6D5ky0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAEoP-xg5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXpAtFe2mQ

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqRFFB9kitzKn_a_-PQa-DMO24SXNE-Z

The DEM and the visual maps I downlaoded from the former NASA-Site Map-A-Planet
(version 1).
The resolution isnt the best, due to the former download-limit of Map-A-Planet.
Also there is some flickering in the movies, partially by switched-off
anti-aliasing.

The elevation is exaggerated by a factor 1.5 to 2, I dont know the exact values.

But a nice try I think, I would love to get additional and more detailed maps to
play with.
Unfortunately NASA shuts down the old site and replaced it by a much more
complicated one.

By the way:
This is the sub-board to present movies, right? Or the other animation
sub-board?
Its my 2nd post here, thats why I ask.

Ciao,

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2020-11-16-201954_5120x1440_scrot.png' (961 KB)

Preview of image '2020-11-16-201954_5120x1440_scrot.png'
2020-11-16-201954_5120x1440_scrot.png