POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: jr
Date: 11 Sep 2020 15:25:00
Message: <web.5f5bce6617b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
> > It really needs user input. If we could get a cadre of all the above-
> > mentioned images rendered with 3.7 (plus a selection of good external
> > candidates like HOF images and some newer works), then the same with
> > 3.8, and have them all put up side-by-side on a website or some other
> > means of allowing multiple collaborators to view, rate and/or comment on
> > the differences then it would be a large step forward to getting 3.8 out
> > of the door.
> there are around 400 scene files in v3.7; ...

most of the distribution scene files have one or more "recommended" render
settings in their header which should be used.  so I've hacked up a set of
scripts (for GNU/Linux) to do the rendering with two POV-Ray versions and create
side-by-side-compare images, to explore, and perhaps build on.

attached archive has the scripts and a small 'readme' which outlines the steps.
note I forgot to mention where to edit/change the POV-Ray executable names,
which may/will need adapting; 'mkcmpimgs.tcl' line 11.

Jim Henderson:
could the above be useful in the context/system you're thinking of?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mkcmpimg.tar.gz' (4 KB)