POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:53:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: jr
Date: 8 Sep 2020 08:50:07
Message: <web.5f577c7417b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> It really needs user input. If we could get a cadre of all the above-
> mentioned images rendered with 3.7 (plus a selection of good external
> candidates like HOF images and some newer works), then the same with
> 3.8, and have them all put up side-by-side on a website or some other
> means of allowing multiple collaborators to view, rate and/or comment on
> the differences then it would be a large step forward to getting 3.8 out
> of the door.

I have versions 3.7.0.8 and 3.8.0-alpha.10064268 installed on a machine, and
will be happy to render scenes with both and post the images.  perhaps you could
start a new thread just for posting results? (until the "website or some other
means" becomes available)

there are around 400 scene files in v3.7; how to ensure that users do not
duplicate work?  other than that, I can make a start tomorrow.

btw, regarding side-by-side, Linux users will have the (ImageMagick) 'montage'
utility which could be useful here.  a command like:

  $ montage v37img.png v38img.png -tile 1x2 -geometry +0+0 imgcmp.png

creates a single image with the v38 image below the v37; without internal
border(s).

regards, jr.