POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : A povr tarball for Unix/Linux. : Re: A povr tarball for Unix/Linux. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:01:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A povr tarball for Unix/Linux.
From: jr
Date: 5 Jul 2020 11:15:01
Message: <web.5f01ed40d1e52a784d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 7/4/20 12:05 PM, jr wrote:
> > found a 'xpovicon.xpm' in the 3.5c source, copied that, and both the make and
> > make check went through.  ...
>
> Thanks much!

a real pleasure, actually.  (see below)

> Aside: In the whither thread you gently tossed an arrow at the Simple
> DirectMedia Layer use. ...
> My understanding is that SDL1.2 was chosen for v3.7 because of problems
> with x11 at the time - which perhaps are not all that different from
> what we still see with x11 today.

that, I think needs .. re-stating.  :-)

I'm not a betting person, but would put good money on: if you were to create a
VM and installed either Slackware (of course!  :-)) or some BSD-derived Linux,
or Solaris, you'd find no "problems with x11"[*].  I think that rather than from
the X Windows system, problems will occur when using a Ubuntu.  (Mark
Shuttleworth tried too hard to become the "cock on the midden"  :-))  (although,
having said that, who knows, perhaps it goes back to Debian)

[*] that's not to say that the API isn't .. cumbersome, or perfect.  O'Reilly
published a really good set of references to X11R5 and X11R6.

> In my povr/POV-Ray use all three display options still have issues with
> x11 being the worst behaving. The x11 and SDL1.2 options suffer from
> occasional hangs requiring a kill command to stop with x11 being worse.
> Not seen the hangs in SDL2.0, but there is once in a while a had row of
> pixels usually in the upper left on scaling to fit a window. I recommend
> SDL2.0 use today if you have a choice.

well now, "povr -y x11 ..." works beautifully here.  :-)  the only difference I
see is that the x11 gives me window that starts with a transparent background,
while the (default) SDL2 window is black when empty.

and _I_ really like that the X functionality is making a comeback.

first impressions, have only run a handful of scenes for quick trying out that
it "just works".  fully installed ~4.2M -- nice!  it feels quite .. sprightly,
the difference to the 10064268.alpha seems to be ~5% faster parse and ~10%
faster render.

I'll play some more in the week, then post a list of .. issues.

regards, jr.