POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:59:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: jr
Date: 3 Jul 2020 16:50:01
Message: <web.5eff989917b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> No, I did listen. And he is completely right about the license. I know,
> because it cost Chris and me an extreme amount of non-quality time and a
> lot of money to get all the contributor agreements to relicense under
> AGPL3.
>
> It is just his approach that one should give and expect an instant award
> for contributing that I absolutely do not share. And as I said, also do
> know that the second generation of WWW users developed his expectation.
> But I do not have to agree, and I just don't.

happy to agree that the immediate reward and the everyone-can-merge wouldn't be
my choice, either.

but, "the message" I took from his talk was that an successful open source
project tends to be one where the maintainers create, and then foster, an
"atmosphere" that allows the users/"community" to .. coalesce around shared
goal(s), and play an active part of that pursuit.  and perhaps the fact that "it
cost Chris and me an extreme amount of non-quality time and a lot of money" is
simply an indication that the (potential) "support base" ought to have been
asked to become involved; anyway, by the by.

(I find it very interesting that you have not touched on this point, at all,
even though it would seem pertinent wrt this debate)

regards, jr.