POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can we check if an object is within another object? : Re: How can we check if an object is within another object? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 11:38:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can we check if an object is within another object?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Jun 2020 14:25:01
Message: <web.5ee518f4350b148fb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> Ah. Excellent idea/method!
>
> Bill P.

It is.   I frequently forget at first the interoperability of splines and
prisms.
Way more elegant than my suggestion.

A few points:

Directly:
1.  Does the code as pasted give the desired result?  I made an array of all 18
points and used those in a spline, and I got a larger sphere (r = 3.701) that
touches the outer part of the prism.

Only tangentially related:

2. It would be nice for prism{} to accept an array as an argument directly, and
for it to select the x, z coordinates from a vector with greater than 2 elements
/ components.

With regard to names / syntax (recent commentary/questions about #declare /
#undef, and rewriting things in povr has my mind in that mode):

Why do we have # before things like for, etc. and not others?
dimension_size is "long" and I find awkward to remember.  array_size, size_of,
or something like that would be a nice alternative.

Inside of various declarations, I often add an extra comma, so if I were coding
Jerome's scene, I will frequently write
sphere {0, LOWEST, pigment {color red 1 }}
                 ^
and POV-Ray does not like that.
I believe there are a few other places where extra commas generate an error that
prevents rendering - I will try to be mindful of those and point them out.