POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface. : Re: Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:54:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 May 2020 07:30:00
Message: <web.5eb9366e57815862fb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> Thanks. Grabbed a copy of your code last night for future reference/play.

Sure thing.  It's - rough.  ;)

While coding up some other stuff, I was thinking about how to make isosurfaces
easier and faster to develop.

There must be a way to give feedback on a threshold that the user missed - such
as mistakenly using vlength() as the formula for a sphere rather than vlength()
- r.
I was thinking maybe sampling along a few vectors from the center of the AABB or
from the center of any points found.

That led to the idea of feedback on better bounded_by constraints.  No one ever
renders an isosurface ONCE.   If there's a lot of empty space, then maybe the
algorithm can keep a running tab on min/max extents of the actual object.

And maybe there's a way to take fewer samples when smoothing the gradient, but
interpolate more, in order to have fewer calculations and greater speed when
running prototypes.

BB optimization also would then be a further refinement.  ;)

OK, off to work.