POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How can I fix surface perfections on my render? : Re: How can I fix surface perfections on my render? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:01:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I fix surface perfections on my render?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 May 2020 07:15:01
Message: <web.5eb932e149257b65fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"circuit" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Wow, this community is awesome. I appreciate all the responses.

We try.  :)
There's always so much to do, and it's so much easier to get things _done_ when
you can get past all the hurdles.  We all help out as best we can.

> 100% sure it's a coincident surface issue. In fact, similar artifacting also
> exists in FreeCAD's rendered output. Here's an animation using FreeCAD
> "activeView":

Find min_extent and max_extent of all the parts, calculate the centers,
translate to center, scale down by a wee bit, then translate back.
With that many parts, I'd probably write a little macro that takes an object{}
as an argument.

> This is actually not my model... it's just the first demo file I found online
> that had assembly constraints, so I ran with it. I have no idea if it was
> designed properly. I plan on testing this out more thoroughly with a model I
> build myself.

Naturally.  Always a lot easier to get things moving with pre-built stuff.

> I come from an electrical
> background, but I have a strong interest in robotics. My plan is to use FreeCAD
> to design and simulate (animate) robotic gait.

Nice.   Chemist myself, but I dabble with things with my EE friend.
You should look up Rune's spider animation.  Very impressive.