POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elliptical torus : Re: Elliptical torus Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:04:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elliptical torus
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 May 2020 13:35:01
Message: <web.5eb1a390a032ea3dfb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> I'm going make another attempt at an inbuilt function for this. If
> you've tweaked something in the code from the previous few posts, please
> let me know.

Nope - Just been playing around with it a bit to make sure the outer and inner
shapes are truly elliptical (they are).

I know we have a vlength() - but it can't be used in functions (vector
argument).
Maybe if there was a way to just do a Vlength (x,y,z) to get around that...

I was also thinking that non-circular cross sections would be something nice to
have - something like the form factors for the helix functions.  I have one
function that I'll try to work out for that, but other functions similar to the
superellipsoid, "squircle", and rounded box seem like they would have utility
for povvers as well.

Conversely, It would be great to have a "torus" that was spherical or
ellipsoidal - but could follow the shape of some other function or spline.

With regard to dot notations and vectors - what is the "native form" for a
pigment pattern?  Is it an "rgb" vector where each component simply has the same
value unless modified by a color_map?

And is it therefore slower to use .gray or .hf?

> More ReL (Real Life) than RaL (Ray Life) today - so likely later this
> week before I get to it.

So much ReL.  Juggling Arduino, work, home, and COVID ridiculousness.
No worries - take your time.  :)