POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : c++ template types for function : Re: c++ template types for function Server Time
16 Apr 2024 11:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: c++ template types for function
From: jr
Date: 30 Apr 2020 17:10:04
Message: <web.5eab3dbdce0a4398898043f30@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Interesting.   I can _rationalize_ why it would be that way, but I might have
> taken me days to happen upon the proper syntax.
> I'll give it a whirl and see where it gets me.
> Thank you very much, as always.

no sweat.  :-)

> > in your case, the vector would be made of type foo;
>
> Vector....   ?

ignore.  misremembered.

> > yes, I recently installed one of those C++ library-in-a-header files.  not my
> > cup of tea.
>
> So "yes" means the cpp file gets automatically referenced...

no.  "yes" meant </sigh>, I guess.  afaik there's no .cpp; you include the
header and get the library functionality.

<https://github.com/g-truc/glm/releases>

> > as regards the first question, I should have thought that, for a small project,
> > you can have all sensor constants etc in a single header, just a matter of
> > avoiding name clashes.
>
> So in the .h file, I have in part:
> class TMP117
> {
> public:
>  TMP117(); // Constructor
>
>  bool begin(uint8_t sensorAddress = 0x48, TwoWire &wirePort = Wire); // Checks

this looks so wrong.  if I read your intent correctly, in C, that would need to
be something like:

bool begin(uint8_t, TwoWire *);

and then, the values, either '#define'd or, better, in (const) variables, eg in
the header:

extern uint8_t const sensorAddress;
extern TwoWire * const wirePort;

and in your source, somewhere near top:

uint8_t const sensorAddress = 0x48;
TwoWire * const wirePort = Wire;

> I'm also guessing the simplest way to copy-paste code to deal with multiple
> sensors would be to make a new class for each sensor? ?

seems to me that if the sensors are of the same type, you'd only need so many
instances, if they differ, I guess some sensor parent class + per type classes
inheriting from that.  (usual 'no speak c++' disclaimer)

can't really comment on the remaining question.  I would have thoughr though
that there are enough arduino projects on the web to .. analyse and peruse.

regards, jr.