POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livelihoods : Re: Livelihoods Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livelihoods
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Apr 2020 17:15:06
Message: <web.5ea89c82144bf601fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> I don't know, what kind of pure democracy USA wanted to avoid - is it anarchy or
> a democracy like in antic athen, where Socrates was sentenced to death? I
> wouldn't like either...

Pure democracy is nothing more than mob rule.  The Tyranny of the Majority.
The minority are always in danger of "losing", and the majority always has
something to gain by trying to further "win".
In a constitutional Republic, there is a just and proper role of government
which has no rights - it only has justly delegated authority to be exercised by
the consent of the governed.  Anything not authorized as under the legitimate
purview of the governing democratically-elected representatives is explicitly
prohibited from their infernal meddling.
And THAT is what ensures peace, prosperity, and avoids the increasing
polarization that we see now.

There are many authors and organizations dedicated to preserving Liberty and
individual freedom, and it would be arduous to lay out the history of why
Liberty is necessary, and the philosophy and empirical evidence that shows it to
be necessary and proper.

People have Natural Rights - and it is the proper function of government to
protect and defend those Rights.   350 million Americans can't justly and
properly deny a single individual of any of their Rights just because they feel
like it, watch a movie, read a book, or fall under the powerful influence of a
cult, the media, or an international corporation.

Ken Schooland did a great job of summarizing the important concepts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I
https://www.jonathangullible.com/
(flash animation by the late Kerry Pearson)

and Michael Badnarik expanded on what that means in his Constitution class.

> Nothing should be taken to its extremes! Here I "totally" agree with the
> founding fathers, if I got them correct ;-)

Well, there are Rights, and there are privileges.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit
of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

As Michael succinctly put it, "If I wanted to sleep with your wife - not every
night - I'd be reasonable - let's say just once a year - and you said ABSOLUTELY
NOT!   Not EVER!  Would you be an _extremist_ husband?"

https://badnarik.org/downloads/chapter_two.pdf
https://badnarik.org/

L. Neil Smith has equally as much to say on similar topics.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/92216/20-powerful-quotes-frederick-douglass

> But what we have to learn now beside all of the economic stuff?
> Personally I don't see a clear winning system and I don't have the eastern
> mentality to give my data away like in Taiwan or South Corea.

That's the whole point.   There is no "winning system" - the system adapts and
changes as we see fit to meet our needs.  Top-down authoritarian structures
don't work, they're inefficient, they're SLOW, they're usually incompetent, and
they attract corrupt power-seekers and mission-creep soon leads to the Iron Law
of Oligarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

Much of what is blamed on "capitalism" is government corruption that was used to
enrich the powerful friends of the corrupt politicians.
Read Ayn Rand's _Atlas Shrugged_, and you'll get a good idea of the inner
workings of the corrupt in power.

When something is regulated, the first thing to be bought and sold are - the
regulators.

> Nobody will get my moving data, that's for sure!

I've been studying this, and have been deeply involved in this for 20+ years.
It takes a lot of time and energy and dedication - and spine.
And unfortunately I have the deep scars to prove it.

And boy they DO NOT like it when you make demands, or disagree.