POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : "linked" value functions : "linked" value functions Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:04:22 EDT (-0400)
  "linked" value functions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Apr 2020 14:05:01
Message: <web.5ea1d86340a6d7a8fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
So, I've come across this a few times, and I'm not sure if this is a "usual"
operation or a formal function/macro in certain languages.

I want to compare two values, but I want to then utilize a third, linked value.

So in the current situation, I'm looking at the dimensions of vectors during a
rotation, and a typical operation is to do something like:
#local MaxX = max(TestValue, MaxX);

But I don't want to keep track of the magnitude of maximum vector - I want to
keep track of the ANGLE of rotation at which that maximum occurs.

Obviously I can concoct some sort of macro to handle this, but it just seemed to
me that this must be a somewhat common task, to the point where such a function
might exist and have a name.