POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : object too far from camera is not shown : Re: object too far from camera is not shown Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object too far from camera is not shown
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Apr 2020 16:10:01
Message: <web.5e9b5e7f257f6faafb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"guarnio" <gua### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I'm gonna share the code with "position_SUN" vector declared at the beginning,
> you can just change that and see that just dividing the cut off distance is
> dividing the sun's distance ("position_SUN" vector) by /30 (in this case the sun
> still appears), while dividing only by /28 makes the sun completely disappear.
> I hope someone will be able to help me with what the problem is,

Welcome to the large family of people who have coded the solar system.  :D

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3C4e46a998%40news.povray.org%3E/

and several other threads like it.  see the old discussions about rendering
Ringworld, and the custom version of POV-Ray that was needed.

There's only so large or so small you can get, numerically, before you run into
the problem of "how is that number represented by the computer in a physical way
using 0's and 1's"  You either run off the end one way or the other.

Try to keep everything within 1x10(+/-)6 and you should be fine.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C5922e351%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/message/%3Cweb.5916900b4e8509949c5d6c810%40news.povray.org%3E/

etc.