POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : HELP: INI Settings Wrong : Re: HELP: INI Settings Wrong Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP: INI Settings Wrong
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Apr 2020 09:15:01
Message: <web.5e888793dd1a5c95fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
Hi Sven - I hope you are in better health, spirits, and things are looking up.

> > I have a problem: I changed my harddrives and order of drive letters.
> > POV-Ray still starts, but it cannot find any INI files etc, as they are
> > not on C but on drive F.

My naive untested solution would be to look at / solicit feedback about / check
the docs for - where the files normally get installed, and then just change
everything to F: where C: exists.

> > I also cannot find any longer the POV-Ray master Ini file. In the past,
> > there was a button to load that INI file.

(/media/oem/OS/ is the windows partition on my C drive)

executables are in: /media/oem/OS/Program Files/POV-Ray/v3.7/bin/
but I can't seem to find the directory with the ini files.
(This secret info ought to be written to a log and stored in a .txt file in the
user directory.)

> > And I also searched the Windows registry for a place where I could
> > correct the path, but the only path I found was only for scene files
> > which I set to drive F.
> >
> > How to make POV-Ray, when starting, searching for the files on drive F
> > instead of drive C?

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Windows_Section_3

I'd say for the present, just start searching the system for the filenames and
try to find out where they all are by brute force.

Bill Pokorny wrote:
> On unix based systems it's also possible to symbolically link across
> file systems. Possible to point from a "C drive" directory to the real
> directory and files on the "F drive" by setting up a link.

Can you provide a working example of how to do this with the Windows font
directory?  (use a dummy Linux directory as a surrogate)
I tried the symbolic link, but it doesn't really seem to work for me at present,
so it apparently still needs some small tweak.