POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STL binary floating data. : Re: STL binary floating data. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:49:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STL binary floating data.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Mar 2020 17:35:01
Message: <web.5e66b5b2517dbb514eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> now thinking that if you were to write each face as as line of comma-separated
> values instead (ie nx,ny,...,v3z), converting that CSV to binary STL would be
> (famous last words.. :-)) trivial.

I believe jr is correct.

POV-RAY can read in the ASCII STL file, and write out the data to a binary STL.

As I have investigated doing this not long ago, the real PITA here is trying to
parse and process the ASCII in POV-RAY.

What _I_ wound up doing was just using a LibreOffice spreadsheet to go from
ASCII STL to a POV-RAY mesh object.   If that initial pre-processing step in the
workflow isn't a big deal, then you could do the same to format your ASCII STL
data, and then use POV-RAY to read in and write out a binary STL file.