POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STL binary floating data. : Re: STL binary floating data. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 09:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STL binary floating data.
From: jr
Date: 9 Mar 2020 13:15:01
Message: <web.5e667876517dbb51451952ca0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> HI all.
> One of my interests is export shapes during my work with IntelliCAD (but Autocad
> is the same), using the lisp language at runtime.
> I write *.pov, *.inc and *.stl also.
> Unfortunately from cad i can only write STL with the heavy ASCII format, because
> I have a problem with the lisp.
> Autocad uses double precision float numbers. STL binary want single precision
> floats. But the AutoLISP (seems that) does not allow me this conversion.
> Allow me to ask here, maybe some experienced 3D programmer knows a solution?
> Thanks in advanced!
> G.

STL to POV-Ray conversion has been discussed before, people seem to use various
utilities:
<http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C59799a41%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=419996&toff=50&mtop=417481>

not being an "experienced 3D programmer" (but interested in file format
conversion(s)), I'd be tempted to output ASCII as now, then use a small (Tcl[*])
script to convert to binary STL.

regards, jr.

[*] guessing that, coming from LISP, you'll appreciate Tcl's list handling.