POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculate distance between point and viewport : Re: Calculate distance between point and viewport Server Time
16 Apr 2024 03:02:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculate distance between point and viewport
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Feb 2020 13:50:00
Message: <web.5e52c861dd9dce8e4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
VDist(V1, V2). Compute the distance between two points.
Parameters:

V1, V2 = Input vectors.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/459/

So, you could either compute the distance between the Camera_Transform[ed]
Camera_Location and Camera_LookAt, or since IIRC the default camera uses a
projection plane one POV-unit away from the camera, you could normalize that and
multiply it by the length of the Camera_Distance vector...

> How do I calculate the distance between a point and the camera? Except,
> I am using an orthographic camera, so I really need the distance between
> a point and the plane formed by the camera's up and right vectors.

Or you could use a Graphics Gems macro to actually calculate the shortest
(perpendicular) distance between the (transformed) camera point and the
(transformed) up-right plane.