POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Do we have a linux-friendly mesh exporter? : Re: Do we have a linux-friendly mesh exporter? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do we have a linux-friendly mesh exporter?
From: jr
Date: 22 Jan 2020 23:00:00
Message: <web.5e291993a1683a498c662f470@news.povray.org>
hi,

> I usually use Pose-Ray (of course) for things like this,

you can run that on a Linux box?

> but I was wondering if any of the linux users have any other tools for taking
> obj, stl, or other mesh files and converting that to a file easily used in
> POV-Ray.
>
> I found this, which seems to have been dropped for the moment...
> https://github.com/monkstone/povmesh

had not known of this either.

self prefers small, dedicated tools.  the source linked ('gts2pov'[*]) builds a
small and reasonably quick executable, used for these:
<http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5e1881adbbdf84bb8c662f470%40news.povray.org%3E/>

to compile:

  $ cc -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -O2 -fPIC -o gts2pov gte2pov.c

edit line 40 to raise the maximum vertices per mesh, default 1M.

[*] <https://drive.google.com/open?id=14Luh5u-39MWQzo8NSbTldAH2MUMNXC5T>

> Just as an interesting aside:
> If anyone understands the file structures well enough, it would be rather
> interesting to do the conversion completely in SDL,

that does sound, um, a little masochistic.  :-)

> especially if the output
> format were mesh2 - since it would provide a framework for showing how to do
> that.  It would sort of be its own tutorial.  :)

the user ought to have choice of 'mesh' or 'mesh2', imo.

regards, jr.