POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povmodeler : Re: povmodeler Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povmodeler
From: simbad
Date: 22 Dec 2019 10:55:01
Message: <web.5dff9082f7e9e65213458b160@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "simbad" <Han### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > Hi ho,
> > there are two packages available.
> >
> >  * https://www.simulated-universe.de/povmodeler-1.1.4-x86_64-1hjl.tgz
> >  * https://www.simulated-universe.de/povmodeler-1.1.4-x86_64-2hjl.tgz
> >
> > for slackware-14.1 and slackware-14.2
> >
> > I experienced segfaults on first start. I could not find the cause for now.
> > While it has vanished with the next start it has been hard to identify.
> >
> > While checking a coredump I found an iterator through the action list failed.
> > But the debugging on slackware is hard, as the X11 in a vm runs without any
> > accelleration support. Everything is very slow.
> >
> > So look out for those crashes. Maybe I got some more ideas about the situation
> > that will cause this.
> >
> > I did not created any slackbuild-script but added the slack-desc file to the
> > repo. As it should be easy to be build on a slackware distro now I think I will
> > not deliver the slack-build script.
>
> ah, thanks.  no idea whether it will be "easy to build" since all you provide is
> a binary (system) install.  (I was minded to try the software, but would want to
> build and install it to "fit in")  cheers, anyway.
>

> regards, jr.

git clone https://github.com/tribad/povmodeler.git
cd povmodeler
git checkout slackware14.x
cmake .
make
make install

A build script will not do anything different. So if you have anything different
than the standard slackware 14 software installed, even the slack-build may
fail.
So doing it the way I described above should be the way if you want more control
on the build process.

The packages I produced are created on fresh installed vms. So they should work
out if the box.

Accessing the repo has the advantage that you will stay up to date to any
upcoming changes. That would not possible with a source package as it only
contains "released" source code.