POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? : Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:08:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone?
From: jr
Date: 10 Dec 2019 01:20:01
Message: <web.5def382acce2d5dfeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > and those.  (have never actually used quick colours)  (inis make using multiple
> > declare=xyz=off type controls easy, I prefer it over having to '#switch' in the
> > scene)
>
> Not immediately apparent to me - maybe you can post an illustrative example
> somewhere at some point.

first off, don't know why I wrote 'xyz=off' which wouldn't work, numbers only,
afaik.  also poorly written, sorry.

off the top of head, any scene which can be used with different sets of constant
values to get corresponding results, like Bruno Cabasson changing the sun's
angle to get differently lit clouds.  these parameter sets, in the scene, are
likely to be inside a '#switch' or an '#if .. #elseif .. #end'.  instead, they
can be placed in an ini, not bloating the scene, and no more editing the scene
if just one value needs adjusting, or a new set of parameters needs adding.

not much of a case but works for me.  (perhaps just some "faulty" wiring in my
brain  ;-))

> > I don't want to sound .. disparaging, but, ime, that's not how it works, you
> > just have to have no alternative (initially, at least).
>
> Sound as disparaging as you want.  I have an ex-wife.  You'd need to struggle to
> register on that logarithmic scale.  ;)  :D

ouch.

> > when (_if_) I get to the point where I can understand and make your code "my
> > own", I plan to replicate the pulleys depicted on the cover of this book:
> > <www.amazon.com/POSIX-4-Programmers-Guide-Programming-World/dp/1565920740>
>
> Well that ought to be easy, though I'll have to see how well-suited what I have
> is for the hanging weight-to-pulley parts.  Most of what I was aiming for was
> drawing "closed" curves, not the "open" or loose-end parts of block and tackle.

yes, I appreciate that.  hence the idea that there should be two distinct
frontend (prisms and pulleys) macros, utilising the existing more or less as
they are.

wrt moving parts, my guess is that the "trick" will be working with (and from
the perspective of?) the full length of the rope/cable, since it needs to look
reasonably realistic when animated.

regards, jr.