POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : building povmodeler? : Re: building povmodeler? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:03:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: building povmodeler?
From: jr
Date: 4 Dec 2019 12:15:02
Message: <web.5de7e885cdd38c9feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 12/3/19 4:54 AM, jr wrote:
> > Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> >> On 11/28/19 5:06 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> >> Hey Jr, are you still using qtpovray?  Do you see this missing text
> >> I-beam nonsense with slakware?  (BE and I are both Mint; a sample size
> >> of 1.)
> >
> > v quick try (haven't really gotten into using it yet[*]).  no, I do not see the
> > "I-beam nonsense" :-)  (Slackware.  reliable.  ;-))  switching focus between
> > panes, always get the insertion thing; line highlighting too works as it should.
> >   v 3.80.0, built mid July last year.
>
> Yeah, I expect that one to work.  It's something recent that made it go
> kablooey.  It's hard because I switched from Ubuntu to Mint at about the
> same time I noticed it.
>
> > [*] if you could integrate eticre's code base with qtpovray, _that_ would change
> > everything.  :-)
>
> I played with this a bit more.  It's not as bad as I originally thought.
>   I built a bathtub in it.
>
> I'm thinking of two changes to it.
> 1) Integrate povrayws, my websocket povray.  Right now, he calls
> /usr/bin/povray lots, waits for user to terminate it, and reads the
> results.  povmodeler *could* just display the texture preview, rather
> than go through those hoops to get it.
>
> Or, I have libpovray.a built.  Maybe I should use that. (That would be
> trickier because I'd need to make a public API out of the VFE in the pov
> source tree.)
>
> 2) Exporting SDL is primitive.  Right now, after exporting a scene, one
> must cut/paste the useful object into their own code.  I want
> #declare Bathtub=union {...}
> and then be able to use that file directly.

looks to me like Ton's copy+paste info indicates that integration (sorry to bang
on about it) with you own editor should be straightforward.  I really think that
a single UI/frontend would work.

> My files are organized so that I can either render them directly, or
> include them in another file:

I've started having '#if (0) ... #end' guards around each scene element, and
switch most things off while tuning some bit.  crazy.  :-)

regards, jr.