POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD : Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:56:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Nov 2019 18:30:01
Message: <web.5dd32858f7b9a3af4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> some small progress.  I shortened the data to ten rows, prefixed by cols + rows,
> run it with:
>   $ tr ' ' '\n' < be-vectors | svd

So just replace any spaces with a newline and pipe it to the svd script.

> the "bugbear" is that the code expects to see square matrices.

meh.  For the time being we can just create/resize all matrices with the
optional appending of ", 0)" like so:

inv_matrix[index].resize(matrix[index].size(), 0);

> compare this to the previous, wrt loop (counter) limit.  I suspect all functions
> dealing with matrices will need similar change(s).

I'm not sure what the limit is, but I doubt that you or I would be using more
than 500 points just to do some orienting.  I think right now, just keep it
simple, and get a "flow" working so that we can integrate POV-Ray's .ini and
post-render capabilities so that an object can be "scanned", the vectors written
to disk, SVD can spit out an orientation matrix, and the scene can be re-run: at
which point it checks to see if a data file and/or matrix file has been written,
and then it just skips over to the part where it renders the oriented object.

I'll look it over and see what I can hammer out.   Busy day.
Thanks for the tips.   :)

Having fun with our new friend I see  ;)