POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : sphere slicing problem : Re: sphere slicing problem Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:35:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere slicing problem
From: jr
Date: 3 Nov 2019 13:35:01
Message: <web.5dbf1cf7401c5809feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 11/3/19 8:56 AM, jr wrote:
> > William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> > open to ideas.  more function voodoo, I bet.  :-)
>
> :-) Ah sorry, I aimed my response toward doing as much in POV-Ray as
> possible given you seemed averse to intersecting the shapes with solid
> pigments and using a stand-alone edge detection program.

yes, SDL as much as possible/feasible.  not so much "averse" as .. ignorant of,
ie I have not had cause to use such s/wares before.  if you know of a suitable
utility which will process a set of images like the ones I'm likely to
encounter, please recommend.

> To just try the -render perspective camera above, below and combine
> idea- do one set of frames with the camera above and stick those frames
> in a directory aboveFramesDir and similarly a camera below scan.
>
> You're already using your own image->df3 program. Read in both above
> frame and below frame images and take the max r,g,b found before you
> write the df3 sample position. If the method works, refinements in
> position etc, can wait until you find you need them. Might be the basic
> idea doesn't work for some reason I don't see(1)...

yes, 'df3util' can import PNG, either as grayscale or _one_ of RGBA, so I don't
see/use colours at that stage.  :-(  still, I'd like to understand better the
way you outlined in the previous post, ie using a third cam to post-process the
two perspective cams slices (iiuc).

> (1) - There are issues where any scan approach will run into
> complications beyond those being considered presently. Interior textures
> different than outside textures for objects scanned, for example.

another can of worms.  </sigh>  ;-)

regards, jr.