POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povmodeler : Re: povmodeler Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:55:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povmodeler
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Oct 2019 15:50:05
Message: <web.5db5f4c4f7e9e6524eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"simbad" <Han### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> As far as I have seen from the source code of my starting point there is no KDE
> dependency in the source anymore. So I would think its in the cmake. I did
> changed it for my own work in complete, but ignored the installation thing, as I
> am far away from working for my fork.

Hans-Juergen,

Thanks very much.   I just ran cmake ../ again and got the following output, if
this helps at all:

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:26 (find_package):
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "KF5Parts" with any
  of the following names:

    KF5PartsConfig.cmake
    kf5parts-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "KF5Parts" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "KF5Parts_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "KF5Parts" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
  been installed.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:27 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindKF5KIO.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "KF5KIO", but
  CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "KF5KIO" with any
  of the following names:

    KF5KIOConfig.cmake
    kf5kio-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "KF5KIO" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "KF5KIO_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "KF5KIO"
  provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been
  installed.

See also
"/home/oem/Downloads/kpovmodeler-master/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

(I'm still comparatively new to linux, and all that goes along with it.   But on
the plus side, I've been pretty much M$-free for months now. )

> And then we need to sort out together what kind of problems exist on building
> this on different environments.

Probably a good idea - it would be a very nice thing indeed if we could get a
poll of users and their current OS and POV-Ray versions.

> Second problem is about implementation of new features into the old code. This
> is somehow hard, because its a monolithic block of code, where lots of files
> must be changed for only adding a single POVray object.

Yes, I got the impression that even with POV-Ray itself, that sort of thing is
true.

Very old article:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234831963_Scientific_visualizations_with_POV-Ray

(See Table 1, page 6)

> Most of it is very early C++ code with near to no use of STL-Containers and
> modern C++ capabilities. I do not blame anyone for this, as I know from my own
> experience how less stable C++ has been around 2004, and earlier, when it comes
> to portability.
>
> But these times are gone now and I think its time to move on with the code.

Yes.

Of course, at this juncture, I would probably have a meeting of the minds with
the people trying to resurrect Moray, and see what can be shared and made
easier.

I'd also maybe take a look at EPSpline, and definitely Microsoft VISIO - which
is what I wish more people would use as inspiration and guidance.

I wish I had maintained my computer literacy and programming skills, but twists
of fate and graduate school in Chemistry didn't leave a lot of time for that
:(

Thanks for looking into this and trying to get it to work!   :)

Bill