POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bug between plane and media : Re: Bug between plane and media Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug between plane and media
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Aug 2019 15:10:00
Message: <web.5d4f159cc5e0ae964eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Warren" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

Hi Warren -
I haven't rendered your scene yet, but I have the sneaking suspicion that what
you're seeing is the inversion of the plane.

"But if I change the plane statement line with the following:
plane{z, 4 pigment{ checker color srgb <0, 0, 1>, color srgb <1, 1, 0> } }

Removing the minus signs from 'z' and '4' hide the media when I render that
scene, but the checkered plane is well displayed."

So, a plane isn't an infinitely thin sheet - it's a "half-space".
Take the POV universe and slice it in half - one side of the slice is "inside"
the plane, and the other part is "outside".

Maybe texture your plane with rgbft 1 and see if you media "reappears".

I think when you switch from -z to z, the boundary/dividing plane stays the same
since you change the sign of the offset as well, but now you've switched inside
and outside.

Maybe add "inverse" to your new plane and see what happens.
Difference away another perpendicular plane, or a very large box, and see if
that uncovers a region of visible media.

Bill