POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. : Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 00:10:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps.
From: jr
Date: 18 Jul 2019 16:05:01
Message: <web.5d30d0887bfcb3936914a0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 7/15/19 6:28 PM, jr wrote:
> > haven't got the actual url to hand, but for stock POV-Ray, I do the following,
> > as regular user:

> I'm partly back from my break away... Always interesting to see how
> others are working and compiling compared to me.

ah, I now wish I'd been more truthful.  :-)  I do the steps outlined up to
running ./configure --help, but from then it's editing a copy of the package
build script of the previous POV-Ray installed, then executing that.

(snipped good stuff on tmpfs)

> - Instead of wget to grab the github zips, I usually just go the to
> github web page for the branch and click the green clone/download button
> which pops up a window with a download zip at the bottom.

I always prefer the .tar.gz archive, when there's a choice.

> - If you'll be running multiple versions of POV-Ray routinely you might
> find installs to unique directories and the wrapper script approach,
> discussed most recently at:
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/374, useful. The build
> processes are today set up to support only one install of a version at a
> time in a target directory. When you run the configure script you can
> specify an install directory in your local space for each compiled 3.8
> version. Individual wrapper scripts then can run each.

thank you for the link, I'll need to think about that tip.  (I currently rename
the executables to their full names and use bash aliases like 'pov371', 'pov38',
and 'pov38x', but that means shared documentation etc)

> Hope my rambling of some help.

sure was.  :-)

regards, jr.