POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. : Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:33:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps.
From: jr
Date: 15 Jul 2019 18:30:01
Message: <web.5d2cfe287bfcb3936914a0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > confused, is this a povray executable you're talking about?
> Confused about your confusion.
> You are correct - it's the experimental fork referenced in WP's link in the
> initial post.
>
> I'm also keenly interested in installing and experimenting with Jerome
> Grimbert's HgPovRay38 fork, with all of the goodies he's implemented in that.
>
> So, I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing[s] when trying to install
> it, and not mucking up my OS directory with all sorts of cruft that doesn't
> belong there, or doing something stupid whilst in sudo mode.

haven't got the actual url to hand, but for stock POV-Ray, I do the following,
as regular user:

- make a directory, eg /tmp/P, and cd into it.
- use 'wget' to retrieve the archive.
- unpack the archive with 'tar xf filename'.
- change into the (newly created) povray directory.
- execute '( cd unix ; ./prebuild.sh)'.  note the parentheses around the
commands.
- run './configure', usually first with '--no-create --help' to look see the
stuff that may need adapting.
- run 'make'.

if you capture the whole configuration and compile sequence with something like
'typescript(1)', you have a "log" in case of problems.  only actual install
needs be done with privilege.

> see:
> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/blob/hgpovray38/unix/install.txt
> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/blob/hgpovray38/unix/README.md
> https://bitbucket.org/LeForgeron/povray/wiki/Compilation
>
> And if there's a way I can start playing with some source code and trying to
> compile my OWN fork, as a learning experience, then that would be super cool as
> well.

good luck.  enjoy.

regards, jr.