POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. : Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps.
From: jr
Date: 15 Jul 2019 17:05:01
Message: <web.5d2cea4a7bfcb3936914a0@news.povray.org>
hi,

no idea about the patch, just a couple of general points.

> Not having really ever compiled much from scratch, perhaps someone can give some
> details about what might seem painfully obvious, but isn't to the uninitiated.
>
> "Download and compile rather than pull probably best. The generated
> povray module should be copied somewhere executable like $HOME/bin and
> renamed pDepth, povrayPGMDepthMap or the like."
>
> What needs to be done first?
> I'm assuming all of that pre-install stuff in the readme.md
>
> Then "download".   OK.  What file - like a filename.tar.z - where best to
> download it TO?  /home/username/downloads?

I tend to use a scratch directory like /tmp/xx/ for downloading + exploring
stuff.  since /tmp/ typically lives in memory, file ops are fast(er).

> But now it has to be extracted...  do this in the downloads directory?
>
> "compile" - I'm assuming this has to do with the "make" instructions - which
> don't make much sense to me at the moment, but maybe the unix/ directory is in
> the extracted directory structure?  As well as the prebuild.sh shell script?

confused, is this a povray executable you're talking about?

> I don't have a $HOME/bin directory - just make one?

yes.  just create one, and add something like the following to your '.bashrc'
file:

export PATH="~/bin:$PATH"

from your next login you'll be able to run any executable stored in '~/bin/'
like any system command.  (your '~/bin/' as first PATH element so you can
override system commands with own, same-named ones).

regards, jr.