POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. : Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:51:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8 based unix patch for pgm depth maps.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Jul 2019 16:05:00
Message: <web.5d2cdbbd7bfcb4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Not having really ever compiled much from scratch, perhaps someone can give some
details about what might seem painfully obvious, but isn't to the uninitiated.

"Download and compile rather than pull probably best. The generated
povray module should be copied somewhere executable like $HOME/bin and
renamed pDepth, povrayPGMDepthMap or the like."

What needs to be done first?
I'm assuming all of that pre-install stuff in the readme.md

Then "download".   OK.  What file - like a filename.tar.z - where best to
download it TO?  /home/username/downloads?

But now it has to be extracted...  do this in the downloads directory?

"compile" - I'm assuming this has to do with the "make" instructions - which
don't make much sense to me at the moment, but maybe the unix/ directory is in
the extracted directory structure?  As well as the prebuild.sh shell script?

I don't have a $HOME/bin directory - just make one?  Details for posterity,
please.

Thanks so much   :)

ALSO:
How do I get the files necessary to play with _this_:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Wfpokorny/DensityFile/FillingVolumeWithShapes