POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Apparent circular pattern of scratches : Apparent circular pattern of scratches Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Apparent circular pattern of scratches
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jan 2019 19:50:00
Message: <web.5c47b977410683ba765e06870@news.povray.org>
I'm sure everyone has seen this at some point:

When you look at a light source's reflection on a smooth piece of glass or metal
or plastic, the scratches all tend to appear as a series of arcs and lines
roughly in a circular pattern centered around the "hotspot".

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to replicate this effect, and
perhaps has an optical explanation for why the scratches appear in a circular
pattern.

https://st.depositphotos.com/1032492/3139/i/950/depositphotos_31397463-stock-photo-texture-of-scratched-metal-surface.j
pg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_2060/20605588.jpg