POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10013324 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10013324 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10013324
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Jan 2019 17:40:01
Message: <web.5c3e60beb703701fcd98345b0@news.povray.org>

> So, to sum up: Quotes are only necessary where you want to specify a
> string by literally spelling out the string's content. If you construct
> the string's content in any other way, quotes would only be in the way.

I have to admit my ignorance: That's a true revelation to me, after all this
time working with POV-Ray! I've always assumed that strings *required*
double-quotes, no matter how they were created or how they were used.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a clear and detailed explanation. It
will go into my archive of 'most-useful' discoveries :-)

And thanks to Bill Pokorny for posting the intriguing code. I would not have
thought to ask my questions otherwise.