POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:02:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Jan 2019 08:25:00
Message: <web.5c3dde4a2cb80e7893ab27150@news.povray.org>
> On 1/14/19 3:54 PM, clipka wrote:
> > Am 14.01.2019 um 18:23 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> >
> >> One of our standard shipped scene files fails due a form feed
> >> character '0c' very near the end the end of the file. That scene is:
> >>
> >> ..../distribution/scenes/objects/superel2.pov
> >>
> >> and here I think we just need to update that scene file.
> >
> > Page breaks used to be common in ASCII files a while ago; I feel somehow
> > inclined to just allow them as whitespace.
> >
> > The only thing that's holding me back is that I'm not exactly sure what
> > effect they should have on column and line counting.
>
> Yeah, suppose they could be as whitespace. Then we'd want to provide the
> same treatment for some other printer(system bell?) oriented encodings
> too if you go that route. Vertical-tab comes to mind & expect there are
> a few more.
>
> Even in the old days it was printer dependent in terms of real world
> space(1) so not sure treating those special characters as something
> other than a single white space makes sense. I say this, though, not
> knowing what the POV-Ray windows editor does which such characters?

At the very least, it seems logical to increment the line count.  I don't think
it would be necessary--or, at this late date, prudent--to assume a certain
number of lines per page.

[...]

> (1) - Do I admit my earliest college programming classes used teletype
> computer terminals... Ah, the noise. :-)

You make me feel young, now.  I had VT-100s in college.

Although at my co-op job, I actually had to deal with punched cards and IBM's
JCL.