POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shiny plastic : Re: shiny plastic Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:02:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny plastic
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Oct 2018 09:35:00
Message: <web.5bc1f426674b8662458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
"David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good finish to render a television that has the "shiny
> plastic" on the front? I tried the finishes in the metals.inc file but they
> reflect too well.

A super quick way to get that "plastic look" is to just add some specular
reflection to your texture.

texture {pigment {Blue} finish {specular 0.4}} will give you that shiny look.

from there you can adjust that, and add the reflection keyword to the finish
block - because I'm speculating that your TV is black plastic.

And if you really want to see a big change in how your texture looks - don't
fiddle with the texture, change what's _around it_ since it has a huge effect on
the reflective surface.

A very quick way to get rather astonishing results is just to use an HDRI light
probe (downloadable for free on the web) and some radiosity.   There's an
include file - rad_def.inc in the POV-Ray distribution that you can use.