POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : vector direction turned into rotation angles : Re: vector direction turned into rotation angles Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vector direction turned into rotation angles
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Oct 2018 16:10:01
Message: <web.5bbbb7d6555c34daa47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Speaking of dot product...
>

>   ______ ..........__
>    |    /:\ |       /\
>    |  Ba :__|90    / B
>    |     :        /
>    |    /|\      /
>    |   A |      /
>   L|     |     /
>    |     |    /
>    |     |   /
>    |     |  /
>    |     | /
>    |     |/
>   ------ *

Hey, that's great :-)  Nice and graphical. Thanks for taking the time and effort
to explain it so well. Now, I can go back to the pertinent Wikipedia article
with some new-found knowledge, to try and understand *that* description.

(If I was ever taught anything about do-products while in college those MANY
years ago, I've certainly forgotten it.)

Funny thing: Of the many maths classes I had to take (even prior to college),
CALCULUS was actually the most interesting and easily-grasped, for me-- the
direct result of having an excellent teacher. On the other hand, GEOMETRY (well,
its proofs) was exactly the opposite-- and for the same (opposite) reason.

But the ironic thing is, I don't *think* that I've ever had to actually USE
calculus during my lifetime(!) So my 'mental machinery' has become quite rusty.
Yet, trig concepts-- the basic ones-- have always stuck with me. And I do find
uses for those from time to time.