POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a given camera doesn't give expected object's shadow laying direction : a given camera doesn't give expected object's shadow laying direction Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  a given camera doesn't give expected object's shadow laying direction
From: Warren
Date: 25 Sep 2018 14:00:03
Message: <web.5baa763dad554acd20df21d60@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I have the following scene:

#version 3.7;

global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }

camera{
 orthographic
 location <0, 4, 0>
 look_at 0
 sky z
 up 4*z
 right 4*x
}

light_source{ <1, 2, 1>*100000 color srgb 1 }

plane{y, 0 pigment{ color srgb 0.75 } }

cylinder{ <0, 0, 0>, <0, 2, 0>, 0.5 pigment{ color srgb <0.4, 0.2, 0.3> } }

Let's say the z vector/axis is the north direction (the middle finger too) and
the x axis (the west and the thumb of your left hand if I'm not saying any
mistakes ?). With the above code, povray renders me a image with the cylinder
shadow on the plane that goes to the south east. But given the camera settings
and the light_source coordinates, I should have a shadow that is cast to the
south west direction. When I add the following line in the camera block:

direction -4*y

I get the wanted result. I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what.
I'm asking your help because I'm a little lost :-(.

Ps: from my point of view, the above camera settings (without the 'direction'
line) should make a camera without any mistaking for povray , I mean povray
shouldn't need to append default settings because it has everything it needs to
make the render ?
Thank you.