POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Locus of a moving point? : Re: Locus of a moving point? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:57:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locus of a moving point?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Sep 2018 19:40:01
Message: <web.5b9af47ee18145f2458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
> I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
> However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
> of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
> visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.
>

> Mike

You should be able to peg that to whatever you're using to determine the
position of the planet in the animation.

So just use a torus, or section of scaled torus, or an elliptical sphere sweep
that starts at zero, and goes to wherever your planet currently is.

I managed to use a Dupin cyclide - but nevermind me.

Have you managed to determine how all the planets are aligned at some initial
starting point?