POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Locus of a moving point? : Re: Locus of a moving point? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:43:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locus of a moving point?
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Sep 2018 15:25:00
Message: <web.5b9ab8c8e18145f2a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
> However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
> of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
> visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.

As a purely visable trail that builds up as a planet moves? Or as a numerical
distance? The former is something I've done before, although I no longer have
the code. (I used closly-packed spheres to trace the trajectory, adding more
spheres during an animation). But I don't remember if I did it all within the
scene code, or if had to resort to #write/#read to another file, to recall all
the previous positions.